Affiliate marketing is a great way to create passive income. There is work involved, including the promotion of the affiliate programs you have chosen to align with. But the best ones have support tools such as text, graphics, and marketing to help you promote the products for them.
Once you have decided that you want to become an affiliate marketer your next step is to find products to promote. This is done by joining an affiliate program. You need to apply and wait to be approved. Once you are approved you will be given a referral or affiliate link to use. This link is the tracking method that is used to track purchases and allocates payments into your account.
Let’s break this down a little further:
Your first step is to find an affiliate program. Once you have decided what type of products you want to promote you can look for ones that match your selection. You may want to promote health supplements, woodworking supplies and tools, and baby items or promote to an age group such as seniors, children, or expectant mothers.
As you begin searching for an affiliate program you will no doubt find tons that look suitable. Your next step is to narrow down your selections. Here are a few things to look for.
1. Ensure that the program accepts and pays affiliates from your country and/or state. Amazon for example does not accept affiliates from certain states across the U.S.
2. Make sure you can accept affiliate commissions via their payment choice. Many programs use PayPal and similar programs such as stripe and direct deposit. I would be hesitant to sign up for those that only accept direct deposit unless you are familiar with the person/company and product you are promoting. It’s important to do your due diligence to ensure the business is legit, trustworthy, and reliable.
3. See if there is a minimum payout structure in place. Certain programs require that you sell X number of products or reach a certain cash balance before being paid. Look into this and make sure you are comfortable with their terms.
4. You may need to have a website or blog in place in order to be accepted into the affiliate program. If its something you really want to promote and know your audience would be interested in those products, I suggest creating a simple website/blog before applying..
5. Check the commission payment to see if it is cash-based or reward-based. Then look to see what the percentage or payment is. Some affiliate programs offer higher percentages than others. You need to ensure that you will be rewarded for the work you are going to be putting forth.
Once you are happy with all the terms and conditions it is time to apply to the program. Again your waiting time will vary depending on the program. Some affiliate programs grant you immediate access while others take a couple of days.
As soon as your approval comes through log into your affiliate account and make sure you understand how everything works. Be sure to add your payment details so that you get paid.
If you have any questions always contact the vendor or their affiliate manager. Start promoting and enjoy your rewards.